Sunday, October 12, 2008

Leaving for Nicaragua

This is what the sky looks like every afternoon before the rain comes. It is usually sunny and warm in the morning and then it rains in the afternoon and all night. But the mornings are nice.
This is a picture of my brother Mariano after his team won the soccer tournament. It was such a good game.
Here are some of the flowers on the street in Cartago when I went to the festival for the Virgen de los Angeles.
This is Gustavo (one of my teachers at ICADS). We went to POPS (a really good ice cream place here) after class one day and witnessed a car crash and then we took a picture of Gustavo with the crash. He is such a funny guy and a great teacher.

Here is photo of me and my tico dad at the Saprissa game!!!This is a photo of the stadium. Their colors are purple and yellow just like Lambda!!
This is the Ultra Morada section. It is for the biggest Saprissa fans. It is a group that goes to all of their games and they lead all the chants and have fireworks and streamers and are just absolutely crazy!
This is a picture from my post "at least say Dios Mio" when Andrew was feeding the pigeons.
This is a photo of our group at the zoo. It is Sam, Rachel, me, my ticamom Eida, and Andrew.

I made it through the week and now Core Seminar and Spanish classes are done! It's kinda sad that we won't be going back to ICADS anymore...I loved our professors there. On Friday. my professor Sylvia took us out to a panaderia (like a bakery) and then we hung out at the local university before coming back for our graduation! It was fun! But yeah my paper is done, my presentations are done, and I feel good about it all. Thursday night, I went with some friends to a jazz club and the lady who sang was amazing. It was a great night to just relax after a long week. Then Saturday I went with a group of friends to the canopy. We went on a touristy program but it was good because it included transportation, meals, and a lot of fun stuff. We went on a boat ride through the river and got to see crocodiles and birds and turtles. Then we got on horses and rode to the rainforest. Then with it pouring down rain on us we went ziplining. We were soaking wet but it was so much fun and it was perfect to be in the rain forest with it raining. I can't even describe how much fun the ziplining was! It was great! I love heights and just being up there and swinging through the trees was great. And at one platform there were monkeys all around us. If it hadn't been raining so much I would have taken out my camera. Later when it stopped I did get a few pictures that I will have to post later but it was awesome. I want to go back. Then we had an awesome lunch and got to hang out before taking the boat back to the buses. It was one of the best days here. And I also got to know a few people in our group a lot better. It was nice to get to spend time talking to them about their lives. But now I need to pack and spend some time with the family because I am leaving for 2 weeks to Nicaragua. I'll get back next Friday and will be here for a night before going to the beach for fall break and maybe back to the rainforest. So if I can I will post that Friday. But we won't have any access to communication for the time we are in Nicaragua. So don't expect any posts or phone calls or online chats. If it is an emergency, mom and dad have the Washington DC numbers to call. But I love you all and pray for us while we are in Nicaragua. It is one of the poorest countries in Latin America with a 70% poverty rate, so we will be experiencing poverty first hand. Pray for our safety and health as we are told that almost everyone comes back sick from this trip. But we are prepared with lots of meds so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm excited for it.

No comments: