Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ugh...life can be hard

It seems like I am constantly being overwhelmed with information and problems. And then you add on to that the problems of things back home and being sick doesn't help. I have decided that I have to let go of some things and just really focus on being here in every moment of every day. I was talking to my friend Ashleigh who went on this program last semester and she reminded me of how much I will miss it when I am gone. So I don't want to keep worrying about what is going to happen when I get back to the states or what I need to take of right now to get things ready for next year. Everything will work out the way it is suppose to and right now I am in Costa Rica. I'm in a beautiful country with beautiful people and a beautiful language and that should be my focus. It's not that I don't love all of you back home or miss you guys but my focus needs to be here.
So anyways....
Monday we celebrated Independence Day with a parade in the morning. I think I had like 4 cousins in the parade and so we spent a lot of time walking with the parade. I think I will permenately have the band´s song in my head. That afternoon my mom and I went with Tio Jose and his family to a Folklore Festival where they had several different groups of traditional dancers. It was really neat to watch and now that I know the history of the area I could actually understand a lot of the dances. Tuesday we went to the US Embassy to hear the US perspective on US/Latin America relations. I left there with so many emotions I don't even know the words to describe them. There was a kind of anger at the way they tried to avoid our tough questions and said things like "we don't use the word hegemony" Their attitude toward our questions was frustrating. And then they said they didn't like how Costa Rica was "a little too democratic". I didn't realize there was such a thing or that the US wouldn't like democracy. Aren't they the ones trying to make everyone else democratic but not too democratic apparently.... But yeah... Wednesday we had Spanish class and then dance lessons. We recruited a boy into our class so that is fun. Now we do a lot more partner dancing. It's still 2 boys to 10 girls but its better and I like partner dancing because then all the steps we are learning turn into an actual dance. We also did some tango which I loved. It is definately one of my favorites we have done so far.
From Wednesday night until now though has been some of the longest hours for me. I started to feel sick Wed. during spanish class but by the time I got home that night I felt terrible. So I took a little nap before starting on all my homework. Since last night I have written 3 essays (well I'm actually taking a break in the middle of my third one). It's been crazy and my mind is so tired. On top of all that there is just stuff going on that I had to take care of last night. But my tico mom was trying to take good care of me. Before she went to bed, she brought me some snacks and hot geletin to drink. Now that may sound wierd but suprisingly it settled my stomach enough for me to be able to sleep. But yeah I really haven't eaten much today but I've drank lots of tea because that seems to be their remedy for it. It hasn't really done much for me but I love tea so I just keep drinking it. I also took a little medicine because I'm hoping to get better soon so that I don't have to go to the doctor because that is expensive. Today Otton Solis came to speak to us. He was a presidential candidate in their last elections but lost by a couple thousand votes and is the hopeful to win this next election. He talked to us about US/Latin American relations and it was really interesting. He is a great speaker and it was such a priviledge to have heard him speak. He motivated me to actually want to figure out a way to fill out an absentee ballot and vote for our president. Go Obama!
Sorry that their aren't any pictures :( Hopefully this weekend I'll get some time.
Shannon...I wish I could be there to watch OTH with you but just wait for our marathon night!! It's going to be awesome and we can scream and hold hands and everything!

3 comments:

Shooflea said...

Oh and I got to talk to my family last night which was amazing!! Thank you for calling me. I wish we could have talked longer but I don't know what was going on with the phone.

Michele said...

I wish we could have talked longer also. I miss you very much & getting to hear your voise made me very happy. I know what I would like from there if you have the time. I would like you to take lots & lots of photos & then when you get home sit & tell me all about them. It would be so good to see it though your eyes. I love you very much take care.

Jennspiration said...

Hang in there sweetie! Life CAN be hard, but you are going to become a stronger woman because of all of this. I hope you start feeling better, get as much rest as you can!

Love ya!