So these past couple of days have been filled with so much information I feel like my brain is going to explode. But first I wanted to give a disclaimer: I spend all day listening to and attempting to understand and speak Spanish. So I apologize if some Spanish slips into my posts. I seem to be finding myself having to translate into English what I want to say in these. And I am sorry if my English is bad because all day long I am thinking in Spanish and now English is hard.
Anyways, yesterday we had orientation and talked about what our classes would be like. It was very interesting and we found out that this semester is going to be insane. We have so much homework mixed in with our other experiences we are suppose to have. Monday through Friday I will be at a language school (ICADS) from 8-11. Then on Tuesday and Thursday I will take a bus to the LASP office for our other class from 1-4. Now you may be thinking wow you get a 2 hour break. But it doesn´t work like that. In that 2 hours we have to catch a bus to LASP and the bus ride takes between 1 hour and an hour and a half. We also have to eat lunch. We have this schedule for the next 5 weeks and then we head to Nicaragua. During these 5 weeks we have to do 3 3pg essays in SPanish and then also write 1 5pg essay and 1 8pg research paper. For all of these essays we have interviews we have to complete and other research to do. We also have a group presentation and 4 other smaller projects. It is definately going to be a lot of work.
After orientation, I got to meet a lot of the extended family. We went to the birthday party of one of the aunts of my mami. I met several other aunts and cousins and uncles it was crazy. Then on the bus ride and walk home they told me all sorts of other words and phrases to know. Then today I went to my little brothers soccer practice. That was fun and then the rains came and they had to stop practice. When they said it rained a lot here I had no idea. It rained for 9 hours today. It never stops except for in the morning. By the way the sun rises before 5 am and then the roosters start crowing. It´s a good thing we go to bed early or I would be exhausted all the time. This afternoon I did some homework and got to talk to Jennifer which was really good. I really do miss that girl but we had a really good talk today and so that was nice. Then I went grocery shopping with the family. It was a lot of fun and they taught me more words and phrases and then quizzed me on the ones from lunch today.
Tomorrow my sister Marecela has a bicycle race in another city so we have to leave at 4am to be there in time. I guess it will take 5 hours for her to race so in the meantime we are going to go to the active volcano and then either to the hot springs or to the canopy. So tomorrow is going to be a lot of fun! I can´t wait to see the volcano. I was told by past LASP students that it was really cool.
Hopefully I will get a cord for my camera soon and can post some pictures. I tried the cord the family had but it was too big. They said on Monday they would take me to a store where I can buy one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, that is a lot of work you are up to out there, but I know you can do it! This is an opportunity of a lifetime and we are so proud of you!
Hey, if you can't find a cord for your camera, can't we just ship you yours?
Post a Comment